Waste garbage disposal is an everyday kitchen appliance every household need for proper food grinding and disposing. ConsumerReports outlined features consumer’s needs to cross-check in order to pick a good and long lasting waste disposal. Although, many people feels not necessary going all through that process instead prefer seeing the product and check out customer reviews.
Whatever way that seems okay for you but it’s important to adhere to expert’s advice to avoid long run complains of wrong choice garbage pick up. However, our editorial guide on garbage disposal consumer reports and reviews is here to help you narrow your decision so that you pick exact unit that’s can handle your wastes effectively. We have unit for harder or soft bones and also for vegetables wastes.
We’re going to start the discussion with our best garbage disposal reviews, followed by types of garbage, brands, buying guide and others aspect in full.
- Reviews of Top 8 Best Garbage Disposal | 2018 – 2019 Best Picks
- 1. InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 hp Household Garbage Disposal
- 2. Waste King 9920 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal with Power Cord
- 3. InSinkErator 74028 Evolution Compact 3/4 hp Household Garbage Disposal
- 4. Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal, 1HP
- 5. Kitchen Aid (84211643) KCDB250G 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
- 6. General Electric GFC520V Continuous Feed Food Waste Disposer | Large Capacity
- 7. Insinkerator Badger 5, 1/2 HP Household Food Waste Disposer
- Garbage Disposal Types
- Common Garbage Disposal Features
- Garbage Disposal Brands & Models
- Things to Consider Before Buying a Garbage Disposal
Reviews of Top 8 Best Garbage Disposal | 2018 – 2019 Best Picks
1. InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 hp Household Garbage Disposal
To begin this garbage disposal reviews, I’ll start by introducing you to InSinkErator Evolution food waste disposal machine. Mind you, this food waste disposal coming on the first position do not mean I ranked it high or less, so you shouldn’t judge on hierarchy level. This garbage disposal insinkerator runs with 1.0 hp motor which is the highest range of horsepower motor find in advance garbage system. Perfect motor for crushing harder food wastes without jamming or clogging. If you often have stronger bones in your kitchen during cook period, then InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 hp shouldn’t be left unconsidered.
The Evolution working principle involves 3 grinding stages to ensure proper blending of waste. Furthermore, feature Soundseal technology so that you get a peaceful environment while grinding and also not disturbing household or neighboring. In addition, feature 40 oz capacity and grind chamber made with stainless steel component that will last you for years. Most relevantly, back up with more than 5 years warranty as mark of confidence from the garbage disposal company.
You can check the features at glance here:
- 1 HP longevity motor
- Multi-stage waste grind processing
- Forty oz capacity waste food disposal
- Power cord not included in the package
- SoundSeal Technology means no noise pollution
- Seven year limited warranty for in-home use only.
2. Waste King 9920 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal with Power Cord
Next product on this review of garbage disposal for kitchen goes to the Waste King 9920. For those that know Waste King Company would’ve heard they have some of the best waste disposal in terms of motor performance. Nevertheless, expect no less performance when you pick Waste King 9920 continuous feed garbage disposal appropriately. However, this waste king model features ½ HP driving motor but not as powerful as 1.0 HP found on the InSinkErator Evolution above. All the same, it will do justice to any soft bones and food waste you can think off.
Most note worthy, the 1/2hp is not a heavy device and thus allow for easy installation with just 3-bolt fitting. Also, no formal electrical tech-know-how needed because this garbage incinerator comes pre-wired with power cord. The compact design is another relevant aspect Waste King 9920 1/2 HP possess as it can occupy small space. This product warranty is far lesser when you place it side-side by side with InSinkErator Excel 1.0 with up to 7 years. However, the low price makes Waste King 9920 considerable. Check out breakdown specification below:
- ½ high speed HP
- Quick installation
- Two years warranty
- Small and space saving design
- Connection does require electrical knowledge
3. InSinkErator 74028 Evolution Compact 3/4 hp Household Garbage Disposal
My aim is to satisfy my audience providing the best product out there on the market. Still on the possible best garbage disposal cleaner for waste discussion; we’ll further review InSinkErator 74028. The first waste disposal enumerated on this page is from the InSinkErator likewise 74028 Evolution. Although, both unit work similarly with some common features but yet the previous InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 wins the race because it has more advance features. I’m not trying to underestimate the InSinkErator 74028 model rather let you know the difference between the two waste disposals.
Not forgetting, the 74028 InSinkErator offers seamless quiet operation, thanks to its SoundSeal Tech and this feature makes it out beat most standard disposal. Another thing to look out for in picking a kitchen waste disposer is durability to avoid disappointment when you need it most. I bet you, this kitchen waste eliminator will last you. Why? It features stainless steel grinding chamber and heavy grind parts for years to come use. I thereby summit the totality of the InSinkErator 74028 Evolution listed:
- 34.6 oz waste intake
- Ultra quiet performance
- 4 yrs home product warranty
- Stainless steel chamber and parts
- ¾ HP dura control induction motor
4. Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal, 1HP
While the previous waste king garbage disposal (Waste King 9920) is powered by 1/2hp motor, L-8000 is installed with a 1HP motor. This means more speed and power in getting your kitchen waste products grind with no jam or clog moments. Waste King L-8000 runs with a maximum speed of 2,800 revolutions per minutes and this further indicates no delay time breaking down harder bones. Features rust or corrosion free parts, meaning no wearing or tear of your garbage machine parts.
The durable unit offer easy installing and ever reliable for anytime use. It’s sleeks appearance makes Waste King L-8000 perfect for space management. Under your sink is a perfect place to install this unit. Least I forget comes with a splash guard that protects you from waste splashing into your body as you grind. However, this is the only unit that incorporates this feature in my waste disposal reviews guide.
Further info’s can be seen below:
- High-speed 2800 r.p.m.
- Removable Splash Guard
- Comes with a 36-inch power cord
- Made with 7 Celcon stainless steel
- Parts are resistant to rust or corrosion effect
5. Kitchen Aid (84211643) KCDB250G 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
Spotting out next, KCDB250G 1/2 HP which is from Kitchen Aid brand and this unit works continuously nonstop until you decide to turn it off. What you need do, dump your waste inside while you do your cooking or other kitchen work. Also its continuous feed design offers quick cleanup after each meals.
Another remarkable feature, Kitchen Aid KCDB250G works with or without covering it and this makes disposing of waste inside fast and easy. Most competitive units won’t allow that, so this is a plus somewhat. The Kitchen aid garbage disposal function with ½ horsepower drive motor and the motor drive at 1725 revolution per minutes for faster grinding. Most significant, features over-load protection via manual settings. Below is a quick sum up of Kitchen Aid KCDB250G Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal:
- ½ Hp motor
- High speed rpm motor
- Continuous waste feeding
- Operates with/without the food cover
6. General Electric GFC520V Continuous Feed Food Waste Disposer | Large Capacity
So far, all the garbage waste cleaner review here works in similar ways but only some features makes each unique in its way. However, General Electric GFC520V would still do impressively handling mild soft bones and vegetables smoothening food waste while engaging its ½ horse-power motor. The speed level is nice, runs at 2800 rpm and base rpm testing, GE products takes the lead among competitive brands.
Although, its design with stainless steel component but its galvanized steel turntable makes it a large selling product waste system disposal. Most units available on the market can’t be wired directly into an electric power but with General GFC520V, you can achieve this and this more safe compare to those that require plug-in. In addition, features anti-jam grinding blades. Glance through the makeup component:
- EZ Mount installation
- Ant- jam swivel blades
- Large waste capacity
- A removable splash guard
- Made of steel and galvanized materials
- Heavy duty 1/2 horsepower permanent magnet motor
7. Insinkerator Badger 5, 1/2 HP Household Food Waste Disposer
Among all the insinkerator products discuss, Badger 5 model features the least oz capacity of 30 but every other thing are adequately in place. Major advantage, Insinkerator Badger 5 supports dishwasher drain plumbing and all what is requiring for the connection are available.
The chamber of this unit is made of galvanized steel system and further power by 1/2 hp dura drive motor and the motor protection features a manual mode reset. This product is also a continuous feed system thereby providing quick waste grind instead of interval stopping and continues that delays time. Furthermore, safe for well sized septic tanks and also back up with up to 2 year warranty.
- Assembled in USA
- Continuous feed
- 1/2 HP Dura-Drive motor
- Quick Lock sink mount
- Power cord not included
- Galvanized steel grind system
- Two-Year In-Home Limited Warranty
Garbage Disposal Types
Literally, garbage disposal are of two types such as the continuous feed model and batch feed model. If there is need for you to purchase a kitchen waste disposal, below are the things you need to know about them
Batch Feed Model
The batch garbage disposal requires users to dump their food waste into it and once the disposal is full, you’re expected to turn on the stopper to for it to start working. I guess it’s quite simple to use, however the benefits of the garbage batch feed model is outlined below.
- This type can only efficient for small amount of waste.
- More safer to use than continuous feed model as it allow you load the chamber and cover it before turning on the disposal
- The chances of your disposal jamming eliminated, if peradventure you mistakenly drop a foreign object inside it. Although stopper is usually installed in the feed batch model to help foreign object falling inside.
- Batch feed models are more costly to continuous feed models
- Much time will be require to get rid of large amount of waste.
Continuous Feed Model
This type of garbage disposal works non-stop once you turn it on until you decide to turn it off. Just like the batch feed model has its pros and cons, same with this continuous model which are listed here.
- Accommodate large amount of waste which makes it good for homes with large waste to dispose.
- No need to wait until the unit chamber is filled up before running it.
- Continuous feed model are not expensive like batch feed models.
- Perfect for immediate waste disposal, especially for those that want to keep their kitchen clean during cooking.
- Your water bill might increase because most models require cold water being inside the sink when using the disposal.
- Safety is highly advised. Parents with children should be careful, for them not to put their hands into the disposal or drop any foreign object into it. Foreign object may damage the unit peradventure when the unit is turned on.
Common Garbage Disposal Features
Since garbage disposals are of different models, finding and knowing which type suit your need becomes a difficult process as they will certainly be having similar features. Looking up reviews on garbage disposal maybe helpful but only if you know what makes up a garbage disposal. For those who still lacks the capacity, here I’ve compile all the relevant features to check for before purchasing a garbage disposal for your home.
- Automatic Reverse: Most garbage disposal without auto reverse function have a common issue of waste jamming inside them. However, models with auto reverse can spin their blade in reverse mode thereby to remove stuck up waste in the unit.
- Electrical Cord: Unit equip with electrical cord makes it easy to plug your device to an electric outlet but unit without electric cord, however needs manual wiring and this leads to additional cost.
- Quick Neck Mount: Most new age garbage disposal technology features a quick mount neck because of the high demand of people of DIY installation. However, One Horse Power garbage disposal averagely weighs fifteen to thirteen pounds and this makes installation one or two persons to carry out.
- Horsepower Ratings: This is very important when shopping for a garbage disposal because the higher the HP, more power to handle your waste. Although, ½ horse power unit can effectively take care of soft bones and waste. But if your waste contains stronger bones or harder vegetables that involve avocadoes, carrot and more, 1 HP disposal garbage best type to pick. In conclusion to achieve a faster and smooth grinding of hard waste, advice you select a more powerful model.
- Stainless Steel Grinding Chambers: Garbage disposal featuring chamber made with stainless steel grinder over the years are known for long durability. Because of this feature, high number of consumers goes for the garbage eliminating device.
Garbage Disposal Brands & Models
There are different brands of garbage disposal, all from various manufacturers. In the US, InSinkErator is one of top brand shoppers widely purchased. Also, Whirlpool and WasteKing are another trusted company in garbage disposal making.
In a nutshell, many models can be considered when you get into the market and their prices vary depending on the features and 1 HP. Hence, garbage disposal sale starts from a $50 investment up to $1000. With respect of this info, I’ll further show you the top brands of garbage disposal in the United States market.
This brand was founded by John Hammes in 1927 located around Racine Wisconsin district. The brand is popularly known for making good waste disposal systems and also continuous hot water dispensers. However, the founder is the first to design the InSink waste disposal and the brand name InSinkErator culled from the word Incinerator.
Currently, Evolution Excel 1 HP model is one of their best selling household garbage disposal and among customers is rated highest among different brands. The Evolution Excel 1.0 HP feature multi grinder technology for any type of food waste grinding, Soundseal Technology for quiet operation, 1.0 horse power motor and 40 oz capacity system. Overall, feature a stainless steel design.
This brand is founded in 1919. They are broadly into making of items for Kitchen appliances. However, garbage produced by this brand has fair rating and reviews going with users comment. The company has both continuous feed and batch feed waste disposal for residential and commercial places.
One of their best and hot selling products is the Continous Feed KitchenAid Superba garbage disposal and it knows for rugged speed, powerful and quiet performance in waste grinding. Features 2 stage grinder and 40 oz. capacity.
Next is waste king. This company is known for producing energy efficient garbage disposal. So if you want to saves more money on energy bills, a wise person will pick a product from waste king. Also, waste king company has waste disposal system for commercial and residential environments.
From early 2000 till date, waste king provides the best customer service and offer the most industry warranties measured by users information garnered
L-2600 garbage waste system is a top notch seller from WASTE King. This one feature a chamber design with glass filled nylon that allows smoother and quieter operation compared to stainless steels models. In addition, space saving, easy to install and further comes with removable splash-guard which keep food pieces down during disposing.
Whirlpool is an American based company suited in Benton Harbor Michigan. The brand is internationally known not for only garbage disposal making but also for other homes appliances. If you’re looking forward to purchase other kitchen wares or machines, Whirlpool is one branded name to follow.
As for their garbage disposal, Whirlpool GC1000XE is one dogged garbage grinder and perfectly nice for small house. They also have continuous feed batch model which are affordable.
GE an international company with headquarters established in New York (NY). General Electric deals in different appliance down to automobile and the international Conglomerates is one of the biggest firms in the US with high gross revenue. Users love their garbage disposal because of the high end durable motors that power their unit.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Garbage Disposal
Want a friendly kitchen garbage disposal then I’m please let you know the market is stock plenty of unit to pick. But you need to know fundamental things to guide you picking the right one. There are four primary models of garbage disposals on the market today:
- 1/3rd Horsepower – Lower: This model is perfect for food waste like vegetables and ideal for household of 2 maximal. The model is known for jamming and can be frustrating.
- 1/2 Horsepower – Cousins:Higher than the 1/3 HP model and works more powerful but primarily for two to three people kitchen use. I encourage you to purchase a model of stainless steel materials for durability.
- 3/4th Horsepower:Household of four to five persons and this garbage disposal are installed with impressive sound technology for a reduced noise level. I also advise you look for a unit made with stainless steel grinding parts.
- 1 Horsepower: I recommend the one Horse Power garbage disposal for those with large family size or whole house waste disposal. Has heavy duty design that can handle bones and other hard waste. Another good side of this model has low jamming rate.
From the above discussion of the different models of garbage disposal, looking at the horse power grade, its best to pick a unit according to capacity. Because the higher the tier the more power and vice versa. The truth, lower tier has the tendency to jam.